During Cal's Streak there has been tons of injuries.
Here are some of the stranger ones.
This is from an article by Knight-Ridder Tribune
- In what must be considered the quintessential modern
athlete injury, Tony Gwynn missed a couple of games after he smashed his thumb in
the door of his luxury car. While going to the bank.
- Rickey Henderson missed several games because of
frost- bite. In August.
- Vince Coleman missed the 1985 World Series when he
got rolled up in the tarp machine.
- Pascual Perez missed a start in Atlanta when he circled
the city for more than two hours searching for the exit ramp from Highway 285 to
Fulton County Stadium.
- Kevin Mitchell strained a muscle while vomiting.
- Twins farmhand David Foster was knocked out for the
season when a lightning strike through a phone line zapped him while he was making
- Pitcher Steve Foster injured his shoulder knocking
over milk bottles during a segment with Jay Leno on "The Tonight Show."
- Wade Boggs missed several games after straining his
back while pulling on his cowboy boots.
- Paul Molitor dislocated a knuckle when it got stuck
in another player's glove.
- Milwaukee's Dave Nilsson missed part of this season
with Ross River Fever, a mosquito-borne virus that annually affects 200 out of Australia's
17 million residents.
- Twins general manager Terry Ryan required dozens
of stitches when he was scouting a game and a bat flew out of the hitter's hands,
sailed through a space in the backstop and struck him in the forehead.
- Pitcher Jeff Juden had a start early in the 1994
season pushed back after getting an infection from a tattoo.
- Outfielder Bret Barberie missed a game when he accidentally
rubbed chili juice in his eye.
- Ken Griffey Jr. missed a game after his protective
cup slipped and pinched a testicle.
- Doc Gooden missed a start when Coleman accidentally
hit him with a golf club in the Mets' clubhouse.
- Mark Portugal missed a start because of food poisoning
from eating bad mahi-mahi.
- Pitcher Steve Sparks dislocated his shoulder while
tearing a phone book in half.
- Reliever Larry Anderson strained a rib muscle getting
out of a Jacuzzi.
- Pitcher Ted Power pulled a hamstring jumping off
the bullpen bench to join a brawl.
- Kent Hrbek missed the final 10 games of the 1990
season when he sprained an ankle while wrestling with a clubhouse attendant.
- Florida's Randy Veres hurt his hand pounding on a
hotel room wall trying to get the people in the next room to quiet down.
- Dennis Martinez injured his arm tossing his luggage
onto the team bus. He was diagnosed with Samsonitis.
- Chris Brown missed a game with a strained eyelid
after sleeping on an eye a funny way.
- Former Seattle shortstop Rey Quinones was unavailable
as a pinch-hitter because he was in the clubhouse playing Nintendo.
- Terry Harper (OF-Atlanta) Injured his shoulder after
giving another player a high five.
- Greg Harris (RP-Texas) injured his shoulder trying
to flick sunflower seeds into the stands from the Bullpen.
- Baltimore's Mark Smith was hurt when he stuck his
hand in an air conditioner to see why it wasn't working properly. As if the Orioles
would let Ripken test the air conditioner?
Return to Fun